Friday, July 29, 2011

Fukushima and the Early Church

Saturday, July 30, 2011 - Nakoso (Iwaki City), Fukushima

Today, I start visiting local churches. Before I start stories of each church Midori and I are scheduled to visit this week, I would like to start by framing the vision behind this work in Fukushima to set the context for you. I have known Dr. Eisuke Kanda, the CEO of Friends of Voiceless International, for a long time. However, through Midori, God has brought us to work together this time and it has been fun to work with and to travel with him and his team. Yes, we know disaster relief work is serious and tough, but we also know the secret to a long term sustainable ministry is the ability to laugh and especially to laugh out loud. We have had many moments of having loud laughter and enjoying amazing Japanese food together (and sometimes, even more amazing (!) Korean food, as these Japanese friends of mine say themselves!). During the forum, I had a chance to capture the vision of FVI behind the work and the forum with Dr. Kanda.

Why have you chosen to work in Fukushima, not other places struck by the disaster?






Unless we hear something bad from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, Fukushima disappeared from media outside Japan and the world seems to have forgotten about the disasters and people of Fukushima. Recovery work in Fukushima has been stuck with little action taking place with continuously declining population.

Why is it important to discuss future now, isn’t it too soon?






The Early Church inspired generations of people from all over the world who wanted and tried to build ideal communities. I am very excited about the next few days of my journey here in Fukushima even though I feel the shaking of minor aftershocks here and there. I would appreciate your prayers for me and Midori. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment